The Benefits of Aquatic Exercise for The Older Person
As we age, exercise can become more difficult because the internal processes that help to build strength become less effective. This is all the more reason to maintain a good fitness routine, but one that is suitable and won’t cause pain or injury. Enter water aerobics.
Benefits of Water Aerobics
Water aerobics is a fantastic aerobic workout that is also very sociable and enjoyable. Our qualified team has come up with five aging benefits of aquatic exercise to motivate you to jump in the pool for one of our fantastic aquatic classes.
- It has little impact on your joints. This is great news if you suffer from arthritis or other chronic pain such as chronic back pain. Water aerobics offers both cardio and resistance training without extra strain on your joints. It will help improve your mobility, muscle strength, and overall cardiovascular health.
- Being in the water makes you feel lighter thanks to buoyancy. This is great news if you are overweight and struggle with other forms of physical activity. You can exercise and still feel comfortable.
- Joining a water aerobics class is a great way to burn calories! Did you know a 185lb person can burn approximately 350 calories within 60 mins of water aerobics?
- Water aerobics helps with your balance and coordination due to the “pushing” of the water when you are in the pool. This in turn helps with balance and coordination outside of the pool.
- It helps you to feel great! Partaking in water aerobics, just like engaging in other forms of exercise, releases endorphins in your brain which are hormones that make you feel good. The socialization of a group class also does a lot to combat feelings of loneliness and helps you to feel part of a community.
Try one of these exercises below, recommended by our p.r.e.p. team, to get you started in the water, or jump right in and join one of our fantastic aquatic classes. You won’t regret it!